Director, Corporate Work-Study Program
Employee Type: FT/12-mo
The Director of the Corporate Work-Study Program (a.k.a. President & CEO of Cristo Rey Work Study Program, Inc.) is primarily responsible for leading all aspects of the Program, and will have primary responsibility for planning, managing, and executing all related activities. This includes stewarding client relationships to procure new—as well as ensure the retention and growth of existing—client relationships to achieve full and meaningful employment for all students. The most critical factor for retaining and growing those relationships is the CWSP supporting students’ exceptional job performance. As such, the Director is integrally involved in and accountable for the execution of day-to-day operations, including, but not limited to marketing, sales, and customer service, as well as logistics, transportation, training and student development, and legal compliance. The Director promotes the continuous improvement of the program to meet the ever-evolving employment needs of its clients and commensurate educational needs of its students. This position is also responsible for promoting the overall development of the student as a whole person, both spiritually and academically, according to Jesuit educational principles and the mission of the School. The Director will collaborate closely with the school leadership team, especially the principal, on a wide variety of organizational decisions and will report directly to the school’s President.
President of Cristo Rey Jesuit College Preparatory School of Houston
Who We Are: Opening in 2009, CRJ now has student enrollment of nearly 500 young men and women. Cristo Rey Jesuit offers a rigorous college preparatory education available to students of limited economic resources in the Houston area. A unique Corporate Work Study Program places students in Houston businesses and nonprofits where they learn the expectations of the corporate world and earn up to 50 percent of the cost of their education. Cristo Rey Jesuit belongs to the national Cristo Rey Network of schools and the national Jesuit Schools Network.
Our Mission: To inspire and prepare students of limited economic resources to succeed in college and lead their communities as compassionate, committed, and competent men and women for others for the greater glory of God.
Our Vision: Compelled by our Jesuit mission and identity, we are a vibrant community that transforms the world by loving, learning, and excelling in all we do.
Our Learning Community: Cristo Rey Jesuit College Preparatory School of Houston is a 9-12 learning community that educates students of limited economic means to become men and women of faith, purpose, and service. Through a rigorous college preparatory curriculum, integrated with a relevant work-study experience, students graduate ready to succeed in college and in life. All students at Cristo Rey Jesuit (CRJ) participate in the Corporate Work-Study Program (CWSP) as an integral part of their educational experience. Students are employed by the school’s subsidiary employment agency, Cristo Rey Work Study Program, Inc., and spend five days each month engaged in a professional work assignment at one of the 130 partner companies throughout the Houston area.
Before students begin working, they are trained for entry-level employment at the Prep for Success: Business Training Institute, which enables all students to earn half of the cost of their education through a job-sharing partnership with their classmates to cover full-time, Monday through Friday positions. CWSP participation is a critical component of every Cristo Rey student’s education, a connection that is made explicit through curricular components that bridge students’ corporate and classroom experiences.
Who YOU are: We are seeking a dedicated, intellectually curious and mission driven individual who is open to growth and wants to be part of our community. They will have the unique opportunity to help develop one of Houston’s most promising educational options for young men and women from families with low to moderate income. An ideal candidate should have an appreciation of the school’s mission and a commitment to the values of Catholic education and be comfortable modeling an active and inspiring faith life for all in the community.
Purpose: A member of the Cristo Rey Jesuit faculty seeks ways to teach and model being men and women for others. He/she interacts in a positive and caring way with students by offering academic and personal guidance and takes an active position in celebrating and upholding the Catholic and Jesuit identity of Cristo Rey Jesuit. Preference is given to candidates willing to get involved in the school community by moderating clubs, coaching athletic teams, and serving as adult leaders on retreats
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Corporate Relations and Job Procurement
- Administer the school's Corporate Work-Study Program through sourcing, procuring, and coordinating job placements
- Design, lead, and execute strategies for new client acquisition and the retention and growth of existing corporate partnerships
- Ensure annual CWSP employment benchmarks and revenue goals are met
- Work in collaboration with the CRJ President, CWSP Committee (Jobs Board) Chair and the CWSP Committee (Jobs Board) of the Board of Trustees to outline yearly goals, strategies, implementation plans, and periodic evaluations for the job
- Build, manage, cultivate, and further develop professional relationships, along with the President and Board members, with C-suite, senior corporate executives, corporate human resources and job supervisors to ensure annual renewal of CWSP partnership, quality job placements, and effective student performance
- Oversee the CWSP staff and the program’s customer relationship management approach to sales and service activities with responsiveness and accuracy
- Ensure CWSP services are being provided at market rate, and client billing and payment processes are conducted in a timely and accurate manner
- Oversee contracting processes with new clients and annual renewal packages with existing clients; compile requisite contact information, updated service prices, student job descriptions, student performance data and other relevant information
- Maintain compliance with all Federal, State, and local legal and safety, in addition to student employment requirements outlined in the Department of Labor provisions
- Direct communications and event strategies for the program that target existing and prospective clients; maintain a high level of brand awareness for the program through strategic marketing efforts
- Conduct semi-annual Department of Labor-mandated site visits to client sites in coordination with CWSP staff
- Collaborate with CWSP staff to manage primary databases including Salesforce (Work Studyforce 2.0), and the Cristo Rey Network’s Cross-Sell Database
- Oversee and maintain an accurate and fiscally responsible CWSP budget
- Supervise, evaluate, and ensure the CWSP staff delivers a mutually beneficial partnership for CWSP Corporate Partners and Cristo Rey Jesuit students; ensure an office culture that prioritizes operational efficiency and client satisfaction.
- Coordinate all CWSP marketing material and efforts and collaborate with the School Marketing Dept. as needed to ensure the CWSP Program receives a steady amount of positive attention in the markets it is involved in.
Student Training and Performance
- Collaborate with the Executive Director of Academics (a.k.a. Principal) to incorporate a professional development student training framework into the curriculum that emphasizes workplace skill development to ensure student employability and success at work
- Lead the CWSP team in planning student job preparation, coordinating the summer student training (Prep for Success: Business Training Institute) and senior capstone project (Project CEO), ongoing student and curriculum development, and student re-employment (Retraining Program) planning for terminated students requiring additional training
- Organize orientations for and maintain ongoing contact with site supervisors who will manage student employees; collaborate with site supervisors on how best to support students and ensure student success in the workplace
- Oversee student grading system for CWSP, including daily timecards, performance evaluations and student/sponsor surveys
- Lead a data-driven continuous loop of program evaluation and improvement
Transportation and Logistics
- Oversee CRJ’s transportation program and carpool; administer processes and procedures for transporting student-workers to and from their job sites, maintaining systems for tracking morning check-out, evening check-in procedures, attendance records, and transportation-related communications
- Supervise student safety as part of an efficient transportation plan to ensure transportation logistics meet all needs for students and corporate partners
- Sign off on maintenance, inspections, insurance, and safety of school vehicles as well as the recruiting, hiring, training, and payroll processes for all drivers and transportation monitors
School and Network Collaboration
- Foster the general morale of CWSP staff, providing a quality work environment through teaming principles, effective leadership, and a demonstrated positive attitude
- Collaborate with the Admissions Department to promote and answer questions regarding the CWSP experience for prospective students and their families; design and conduct admissions assessments regarding students’ employability within CWSP; plan the CWSP staff’s participation in admissions interviews and support the student recruitment and admissions process as needed
- Join forces with the Executive Director of Academics (a.k.a. Principal) and school faculty to deepen curricular connections between what students learn in the classroom and workplace, improving performance in both settings
- Partner with school leaders, parents, and counselors on issues of student attendance, behavior, and socio-emotional support
- Support engagement with the Cristo Rey Network, including participation at CWSP-specific gatherings and the Annual Meeting; respond to routine and periodic requests for program specific data
- Lead and manage employees in the CWSP Department and maintain responsibility for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units, including interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Fulfill supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
Performance Objectives and Measures:
- Secure / maintain jobs for 100% of enrolled students for the entire school year.
- Achieve a minimum of 90% paid jobs at the prevailing market rate for entry level positions.
- Achieve a minimum of 93% retention rate for existing jobs.
- Develop strategies and tactical plans to secure / maintain jobs for 100% of the students at the projected full capacity enrollment of 520-600.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should possess the following key competencies:
- Proven commitment and ability to serve and connect on a personal level with the diverse and dynamic students, families, faculty, staff, and other stakeholders of the Cristo Rey Jesuit community
- History of success in meeting sales and performance goals
- Ability to work at a strategic level and hands-on operational level simultaneously
- Skill set to develop and manage a variety of programs from visioning through strategic planning, funding, marketing, fiscal responsibility, implementation, and evaluation
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially with professional colleagues and clients
- Demonstrated ability to set high expectations for staff, develop them as leaders, and to provide subordinates with the support they need to be successful
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid driver’s license.
- Exceptional leadership and management skills; at least five years of experience in a management role
- Exceptional communication skills, with excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to faith-based education and holistic student development
- A desire to learn and be part of the unique Cristo Rey mission, recognizing the educational value and financial importance of the Corporate Work-Study Program
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Regularly interact with students, parents, staff, corporate partners, and visitors.
- Work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
Educational and Experience Requirements:
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in business management or education management with 5-10 years related experience and/or training; master’s degree preferred and demonstrated success in corporate or non-profit sales and management, including customer relations management, is preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft & G-Suite Database Software; Spreadsheet Software; Word Processing Software; Electronic Mail Software; and Presentation software. Familiarity with Salesforce or another customer relationship management software.
Application Materials: Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Cristo Rey Jesuit College Preparatory School of Houston and Cristo Rey Jesuit Corporate Work Study Program, Inc. are equal opportunity employers.